1. The list of exploratory fisheries available for notification can be found at https://www.ccamlr.org/fishery-notifications.
2. Find the intended exploratory fishery in the list online and select Add Notification to submit a notification for this fishery.
For an exploratory fishery notification, Members must provide the details of each vessel including the fishing gear of each vessel, being notified and one Fisheries Operation Plan that includes all vessels in the notification.
3. Select a vessel from the drop-down list under Member Vessel. If the relevant vessel is not listed, you can add a new vessel to the notification by selecting Add New Vessel.
4. Verify that the details of the vessel are accurate by selecting Verify Details. You will be taken to the web page for that vessel (opens in a new browser tab). To change any vessel details you will need to select the Create New Revision tab and update the vessel details as required. Click the Save button to ensure the changes are saved.
5. In addition to verifying the vessel details, the gear(s) used by the vessel for the notified fishery must also be verified/added. To do this, select the Fishing Gear tab where you will be able to add the different types of gear used by the vessel by clicking on Add Vessel Gear as shown below.
After adding the details of fishing gear press Save to return to the vessel information. After all gear has been added/verified you can close this browser tab and return to the notification.
6. To add multiple vessels select Add another vessel and follow steps 3 to 5.
7. Members are required to submit a single Fisheries Operation Plan for all vessels for each exploratory fishery notification. Members are not required to submit the specification and full description of fishing gear as part of the Fisheries Operation Plan as these will now be provided as part of the vessel details as described in steps 3 to 5.
Under Required Documentation, download and save a copy of the Fisheries Operation Plan document template. Complete the Fisheries Operation Plan for each notification, save it and then upload the completed document to the notification by selecting Browse to locate the form on your computer and then select Upload.
Note: If you need more time to complete a Fisheries Operation Plan save the notification as "Draft" to return to it at a later date.
8. Members are required to submit preliminary assessments of the potential for proposed bottom fishing activities to have significant adverse impacts on vulnerable marine ecosystems (Conservation Measure 22-06, Annex 22-06/A) for vessels that will be authorised to undertake bottom fishing activities with this notification (CM 22-06, paragraph 6(i)).
Under Required Documentation, download and save a copy of the Preliminary Assessment document template. Complete the Preliminary Assessment for each vessel if required, save it and then upload the completed document to the notification by selecting Browse to locate the form on your computer and then select Upload.
Note: If you need more time to complete a Preliminary Assessment save the notification as "Draft" to return to it at a later date.
Members are not required to submit a preliminary assessment under Conservation Measure 22-06 if:
a preliminary assessment has already been submitted for the vessel and the associated gear for a prior fishing season
the information submitted in the preliminary assessment would continue to apply in the upcoming fishing season.
9. For notifications in exploratory fisheries for Dissostichus spp. in Subarea 48.6 and Divisions 58.4.1, 58.4.2 and 58.4.3a, a Research Plan is required (Conservation Measure 24-01, Annex 24-01/A, format 2). Research Plans are not to be included in the notification submitted online. Members must submit Research Plans as meeting papers directly to WG-SAM by 1 June. See Guidelines for the submission of papers to CCAMLR meetings.
10. Once complete, submit the notification to the Secretariat by selecting the Save as Notified button. On submission, the notification will be assigned a unique Notification ID that must be included in the title of papers (Research Plans) submitted to WG-SAM and in the preliminary assessments of the potential for proposed bottom fishing activities to have significant adverse impacts on vulnerable marine ecosystems emailed to the Secretariat.
11. The Notification ID, generated on submission of the fishery notification, will also be required to facilitate the payment of fishery notification fees.
12. Once a notification has been submitted, a return email will be generated and will include the Notification ID and options for the payment of fishery notification fees.